DO’S AND DON’TS OF CANDLE USAGE
Just knowing the fact that our sense of smell is one of the most important senses is exhilarating! Knowing how to stimulate it is even more exciting. Did you know that you can control your environment to create certain modes using scented Candles? However, you must be aware of how to use scented candles to achieve the best effect and to ensure safety.
1. Use subtle scents in smaller spaces – The smaller the space, the lighter the scent. Smaller spaces like bathrooms require a lightly scented Candle as opposed to a heavily scented Candle. Similar to unpleasant odors, strong smells can be overpowering in an enclosed space especially if there is little or no ventilation.
2. Choose the right scent for the area – You should think about what scents you choose for a specific area for example citrus and spicy scents (e.g. Cinnamon) work best in the kitchen as they create a clean, fresh smell, spicy aroma, relaxing scents (e.g. Green Tea and Lemon Grass) work well in the bedroom and floral scents (e.g. Hibiscus) are best for bathrooms.
3. Change the scents to match your mood – using a scented Candle is all about creating an ambiance. You can use light-scented Candles to create the perfect mood when spending time with your significant other. Similarly, a lavender based scent is ideal for relaxation which will help you wind down after a long day and lemongrass based scents are invigorating and give you more energy tackle your day’s tasks.
4. Use Candles for Stress Release – Aromatherapy is the use of certain scents to heal ailments. Studies have shown that Jasmine, Lavender, and Peppermint fragrances are used to alleviate stress, anxiety, and depression while aiding in relaxation.
5. Explore your options and mix your scents – you can create your own Oasis by placing different scented candles next to each other in the same area, for example, you can mix floral scents like Jasmine and Hibiscus. Be mindful of overpowering scent combinations but it is very easy to create your own personalized combos that will compliment your homes.
Buying Candles should always be your personal choice based on your preference in fragrances and color and the size of your space but there are several practices that should be avoided:
1. Avoid buying Candles to mask unpleasant odors – In actuality; it will work against you because while it might be possible to mask some odors with scented Candles, it is generally better to eliminate an unpleasant odor through effective cleaning. By adding a scented Candle to an area with a persistent bad smell, you run the risk of compounding the problem. For example, instead of hiding the smell of pets in the house you might just end up with an overpowering smell of a wet Dog combined with Oranges and that may not necessarily be any better. But, some scents like Vanilla may absorb unpleasant odors so you must experiment and choose carefully.
2. Avoid burning a scented Candle at meal time – Did you know your sense of smell is closely linked to your sense of taste? Studies have shown that leaving a scented Candle burning throughout dinner means that the aromas may compete with this other and can affect your appetite. It is true that scent can be used to set the mood for a romantic dinner beforehand but the actual dinner candles should be unscented. At the same time, having a scented Candle during dinnertime is completely optional. You can request your Candles to be unscented for your dinner parties and yes, they can still add color to spruce up your décor if you so desire.
3. Don’t use too many variation of scented Candles in one place – Although we spoke about exploring your options and mixing your scents, you still must be mindful that strong smells in enclosed spaces can be overwhelming. The same effect can happen if too many Candles with varying fragrances are burned together in a large space.
4. Do not underestimate the importance of safety – Although I will touch on Candle safety in a separate blog, you must remember to always use your Candles in a responsible manner to avoid injury and damage to property. All candles should be placed on heat-resistant surfaces and burned in the appropriate holders. They should be kept away from curtains and upholstery and should not be placed under shelves (should in case you forgot to trim your wick and the flame is high). Lit Candles must stay clear of clothing and hair and should not be placed in areas where someone may automatically lean over them to reach for something else. Above all, remember Pets, Children and Candles do not mix and all Candles should be kept out of their reach. Candles should never be left unattended and always double check to make sure your Candle is completely extinguished before leaving the room.
Scented Candles are versatile and can be used in every room in your house but remember to take care not to use overwhelming scents in confined spaces and choose your fragrances to suit the area, the occasion or the season. Be unique and create your scent combinations. Happy Shopping!