I have to admit, I love my Candles. It’s not a stretch to say that I am addicted to candles. When I started my research on scented Candles a few years ago, I knew that there were a few differences between paraffin and Soy wax, but I had no idea what they were and how their differences would impact not only my future choices but the environment. Unfortunately, most people are oblivious to the ingredients in their regular candles because Candle companies some countries are not required to list their ingredients or the type of wax used in making their Candles. Needless to say, I was shocked to learn that most Candles were made up of petroleum wax, synthetic additives and preventives and I wanted to do my part in helping you understand why you should choose soy when looking for Candles for your home or to offer as a gift.
So why should you choose a Candle made from Soy Wax?
1. Soy Wax is natural and non-toxic – Soy Wax is made from Soybeans whereas Paraffin Wax is made from the by-products of Petroleum. Soy Wax is biodegradable and does not contribute to the CO2 like Paraffin Candles do. Have you ever noticed that sometimes if your regular Candle is lit and placed near to a wall that it will leave a stain? That stain is the toxins that are released when Paraffin Candles are burned and these stains that end up on your walls and furniture eventually circulate through your home. According to a study conducted by Researchers at South Carolina State University, these toxins contain carcinogens (benzene and toluene) which can cause health problems including asthma, allergy-like symptoms or irritation of the respiratory tract.
2. Soy Candles burn cleaner – They burn cleaner literally both in the atmosphere and in your jar! As we stated earlier, Soy Wax does not contain harmful toxins hence the ‘clean burn’. Soy Candles don’t produce as much black soot as Paraffin Candles which makes your jars look untidy. The best way to ensure this is to trim your wick after every burn. This can be done using a Scissors, or a Wick trimmer. Some people opt to use a Nail Clipper. Whatever your choice of trimmer is, the fact remains the same – little or no soot.
3. Soy Candles last longer – Soy Candles last anywhere between 25% – 50% longer than Paraffin Candles. That’s at least twice the burn time! So, when you purchase a Soy Candle, you are guaranteed that extra burn time. Soy Candles can be a little bit pricier than Paraffin but think about it, it is cost-effective, and you get quality ingredients every time. You can’t go wrong.
4. They burn evenly – Have you ever purchased a candle only to realize that it burns to one side or burn down in the middle leaving all the wax on the sides? Soy Candles burn evenly (as long as you keep them on a flat surface). This means that there is no excess wax on the sides of the jar. But remember, creating a memory ring (burn your candle for at least 4 hours the first time to create a memory) will ensure your candle burns perfectly every time you light it.
5. The scent throw is stronger – Did we mention that Soy Candles have an exceptionally strong scent throw? Some fragrances e.g. Coffee has an exceptionally strong scent throw! Because Soy Candles burn slower than Paraffin, the scent is gradually released creating a more pleasant atmosphere even for persons who have sensitivity to strong scents.
6. Sustainability – Soy Wax is a sustainable source and completely renewable. Every part of the plant can be used from the seeds to the husks to the oil. Even our Jars and Containers are reusable, just wash them with a little soap and warm water and voila! – turn them into spice jars, cotton swab holders or small vases.
Now that you are aware of the benefits of choosing a Candle made from Soy Wax, let’s go shopping!